Thursday 1 July 2010

Japanese Words I Have Mixed Up #1 Kirei or Kirai?



I have been known to mix up the wrong words, while trying to speak Japanese. So I thought I would do a couple of video lesson on words I have used by mistake. In this one we look at:
きれい (kirei) and きらい (kirai)

きれい - kirei = Pretty / beautiful
きらい - kirai = Hate / dislike

Example Sentences:
彼女はとてもきれいだ。 - Kanojo wa totemo kirei da.
She is very pretty / beautiful (She looks very pretty / beautiful)

卵はきらいです。 - Tamago wa kirai desu.
I hate / dislike eggs.

The Kanji for Kirai (きらい) is: 嫌い

Kanji Break down.

= Dislike, Detest, Hate.
ON Reading: Ken, Gen.
KUN Reading: Kirau, Kirai, Iya.

= Egg, Ovum, Spawn, Roe.
ON Reading: Ran.
KUN Reading: Tamago.

= He, That, The.
ON Reading: Hi.
KUN Reading: Kare, Kano.

= Woman, Female.
ON Reading: Jo, Nyo, Nyou.
KUN Reading: Onna, Me.

1 comment:

  1. My mom said an American she knew went to an art exhibit in Japan. The woman loved a painting and the artist was right there so she said "Kirai!"
    She meant "Kirei".

    My dad said a Nisei woman was traveling by train in Japan, post-war. Her Japanese was a tad shaky. Her station was coming up so she said "Koroshite kudasai". She meant "Oroshite kudasai".
    Big difference between "Please let me off" and "Please kill me". The conductor thought she was suicidal. And the train didn't stop so she banged on the door. Made it worse.

    ReplyDelete